Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Teaching Means Letting Go

As we end another year of school, teachers reflect on their year.  A friend posted this on Facebook, and I thought I would share it with you.

"It's been a unique journey up to here. I've been blessed to teach many amazing students and at the same time, learned from them as well.  Teaching is not a dictatorship, but a hand-in-hand journey we walk together . . . by the end of each year, we walk our kiddos to the door and let go of their hands . . . many never look back; it's the precious few that do . . . with a smile, a head nod, or a hug that makes you realize they enjoyed the journey too."

"It can all be summed up from the lyrics to 'For Good' from Wicked . . . when Glinda sings . . ."

"I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you . . .
Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But becuase I knew you
I have been changed for good."


I agree with his thoughts.  We have these precious children for 187 days, and then we have to let them go.  They touch our hearts--teaching us as we teach them. We wonder, years later, what has become of each one.  While the end of the year brings excitement for summer, it also brings sadness for we must let the children grow and hope they take what we have taught them and find success.

No comments:

Post a Comment