Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Fireworks Community Show

Each year for the last 10 or so years, my local community has hosted a fireworks show.  At first, it was just the city shooting them off from a field for all to enjoy.  Everyone would drive to the other side of town to get a good view. In the last few years, they have had activities for families to do earlier in the evening or from about lunchtime until the fireworks start at the large community park. Last night, they even had a concert with a somewhat well-known country singer after the fireworks for those who purchased tickets.  The community is really working to make this annual event something fun and worthwhile.

When my family began enjoying the community fireworks, my niece and nephew were little.  We decided we would put together a picnic and go early to find a parking space, have a little fun, and settle down to watch.  Our picnic each year consisted of pizza and soda.  The kids loved it!  We backed the truck or van into one of the first spaces with a grassy curb on two sides.  We put down the blankets and chairs, we enjoyed dinner and conversation, and then we were ready for the fireworks.  The kids loved it!  My grandmother loved it! When my cousins, all right around my niece and nephew's ages, were in town, my aunt would bring them out, and the fun multiplied.  We have great pictures of the kids all dressed in red, white, and blue having fun with one another.  The kids remember these events and even mention them to this day.

While it isn't July 4th quite yet, the community fireworks were popped tonight.  I surprised my mom and Great Aunt by telling them to put their shoes on and get in the truck.  They didn't know where we were going.  We stopped at Sonic for a half-price shake and then drove to the high school to get a spot.  They enjoyed the show.  This year, we could hear music playing.  I think the community played music at the park, and we could hear it where we were.

While the evening was fun, it was sad.  My niece and nephew weren't there for us to share this experience, and this is the first year without my Granny and Great Uncle, with whom my Great Aunt always watched the show. I know all those who have passed have the best seat in the house to see all the Nation's fireworks this year.  I hope my niece and nephew get the opportunity to watch fireworks, even if it isn't with Gram and me.

Here are a few pictures I snagged from a friend on Facebook.  I didn't take any pics, and when I do, they normally don't come out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment