Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Day of Sabbath

Today's sermon:

Luke 13:10-17     Jesus Heals a Crippled Woman on the Sabbath

10 On a Sabbath Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues, 11 and a woman was there who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not straighten up at all. 12 When Jesus saw her, he called her forward and said to her, “Woman, you are set free from your infirmity.” 13 Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God.
14 Indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, the synagogue leader said to the people, “There are six days for work. So come and be healed on those days, not on the Sabbath.”
15 The Lord answered him, “You hypocrites! Doesn’t each of you on the Sabbath untie your ox or donkey from the stall and lead it out to give it water? 16 Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?”
17 When he said this, all his opponents were humiliated, but the people were delighted with all the wonderful things he was doing.

Thoughts:
What I thought about during the sermon today was how God wants us to have a day of rest.  A day to rejuvenate and rest to prepare for the next week.  I thought about how this is very important today for all educators as it is the day before school starts/students coming for everyone I know.

The teachers in my school have been working hard all last week to finish their rooms and prepare plans for the first week.  Many have been staying well into the night, falling into bed exhausted, and waking the next morning just as tired.  I told all the new teachers I spoke to on Friday to make sure and take today off.  They must rest and rejuvenate in order to start one of the most exhausting weeks of their careers ready and renewed.

Our Pastor talked about how Jews have a list of 39 things they cannot do on the Sabbath. It amazes me that they are so devoted and can do this for 24 hours.  I remember the time when stores were closed and errands were not run on Sundays.  We spent time at home, but we still used electronics and appliances. We also did most of our yard work on Sundays. When I began teaching, I used Sunday afternoons to finish preparing for the week, grading papers, and more. 

However, I have always used Sunday afternoons/evenings to get my mind straight for the week, and I treasure that time.  I think that is at least a little of what is expected of us.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment