Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy Independence Day!

July 4th
Independence Day

What comes to mind when you think of this American holiday?
What traditions do you have?
What do you and your family do?

I love history, and there are so many historical moments connected to July 4th.
If you visit Wikipedia, you will find a long list of events that occurred on July 4th throughout history involving various countries and governments around the world and impacting history, science, literature, and sports. There are also a lot of people who call July 4th their birthday as well.
The one that impacts us the most today is:
When I was very young, all of the neighborhoods behind us did not exist.  There was a street with houses, which put 2 houses somewhat close to us in the back.  Next to them was just open field.  With so much land around us (we live on almost 2 acres), my parents would invite friends over, and we would play with sparklers and shoot fireworks.  Well, one year, a firework went crazy and landed in the field near one of the houses behind us. My parents and visiting friends grabbed buckets of water and took off to put the fire out.  Thankfully, they were able to put it out quickly with no one getting hurt and without the firemen being called. From that moment on, we have not shot fireworks at my house again.

There is a huge field at the end of our road.  Growing up, it was a cotton farm, but now it is corn or maize.  Every year, many, many people would shoot fireworks from that field, so we would sit at the end of our road and watch.  Somewhere in the last 15 years or so, that has stopped due to the overgrowth of the little road running down the middle and the changing laws to prohibit shooting fireworks in the city.

We have spent a few years going to a neighboring town's annual show too.  Especially those years before our town started their own show.

Six years ago, our little, yet growing, town started an annual fireworks display.  For 3 years, I would go with Granny, Mom, my brother (if he was in town), sister-in-law, niece, and nephew, and we would go to the high school stadium parking lot to have a pizza picnic and enjoy the fireworks.  Some years, if my aunt and cousins were in town, they would join us too. The kids had the absolute best time. Two years ago was very emotional for me b/c the kids were no longer here, so Mom and I took Granny, and we went to enjoy.  Last year, the first year without Granny, Mom and I got my Great Aunt and cousins (her son and daughter-in-law) to join us, and we had a nice time.  We did that again this year.  

The thing about this annual show is that it, like this year and last, could be a full week before July 4th.  So . . . what do we do on the actual date of July 4th?  On Independence Day?
We might go to the neighboring town.  A friend has invited Mom and I over.  Another friend invited me over.  I don't know.  We shall see.

Are there specific foods you cook or eat?  I expect to have BBQ.  Growing up, Dad would grill and cook BBQ chicken, pork, and/or ribs with baked beans and potato salad.  Since his passing, Mom and I haven't grilled.  One year, we went to one BBQ place, and they ran out of meat.  What??  We went to a 2nd place, and we enjoyed it greatly.  I wonder if we'll get any today and if so, from where.

Does celebrating Independence Day make anyone else emotional?  Besides not being able to celebrate it with the those I love like in the past, the playing of Patriotic music makes me cry.  I don't know if it is due to my love of country, my gratefulness to the men and women who have fought to keep us free, or what, but fireworks and Patriotic music make me emotional.  Anyone else?

No matter the traditions, memories, emotions, or special events, I wish you and your family a very happy and safe Independence Day!





No comments:

Post a Comment