Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Educators on Summer Break


Educators, have you seen 26 Signs You’re a Teacher on Summer Break? Some of you will read it and immediately connect to several items on the list. 

My alarm has gone off 80-90% of my summer mornings.  When it hasn’t gone off, I’ve been up between 6:30 & 7:00 and out of bed soon after. I also know what most days are.  I have also been in professional dress 75% of my days off. Why?  Because my 2nd and 3rd jobs started the Tuesday after the year ended—teaching Summer Acceleration and writing 6th gr Science curriculum.

There have been no beach visits & hammock swaying, or any other fun, relaxing days or activities either.  Summer is the time to get everything done that had to be put on the To Do List during the school year. I am cleaning out and cleaning up my grandmother’s house and cleaning up and reorganizing my house. This has been a huge, exhausting job.

My mind is constantly racing with ideas for the next school year, and I am reading various books and articles for ideas we can implement.

Yes, I do visit Pinterest looking for ideas for my house and school.  If I had children or some children to borrow, I would try out some of my new ideas. I had the energy, I would try out some of the ideas for the home I have found.

Sadly, because I have been so busy with housework, teaching, and curriculum writing, I have not visited the library. That doesn’t mean I haven’t read about 5 books since school let out.

Yes, my treadmill and BFF’s neighborhood streets are getting a workout.  I try to get 2-4 miles in a day.  More than when school is in session.

I hate deciding what to eat for lunch and dinner.  It just seems easier during the school year.

Yep!  An educator’s job is never finished.  We end working with one group and prepare to work with the next group. We read, find new ideas, think of ways to improve on last year, wonder about the new students and faculty, worry about those no long in our classrooms or schools, and prepare to make a difference in the lives of the students and teachers we will meet in August.


Resources:

Hudson, H. July 2, 2014.  26 Signs You’re a Teacher on Summer Break.

No comments:

Post a Comment