Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Teaching Reading for a Change

Today, our district held Professional Development for all 7th-high school English and Reading teachers. On our campus alone, we had 18 or 19 teachers out for this training.  Some of the ELA and Rdg teachers as well as a few others went to Love and Logic training.  In total, we had 21 teachers out.  8 positions were not picked up by subs, so any and everyone covered classes today.  I had the opportunity to teach 7th grade Reading for 2 periods, and I really enjoyed it.

Everyone has their niche, and I prefer the 7th graders to the 8th graders. I will work with both, but when I have a choice, I choose 7th grade.  I guess it is because they are so much like my 6th graders I taught for years and loved.  8th graders have a few more hormones and a lot more attitude.

The hard thing about covering a class is, like subs, you don't know what you are doing until you walk in the room.  Once I'm in there, I want to make the lesson my own.  Today, I had to tweak a few things b/c there wasn't enough time to finish what was assigned.  I also don't like students to work independently, silently for a whole class.  I broke up the lesson with discussions, which the students enjoyed.

I would go teach Reading again.  I really enjoyed it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment