Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Friday, February 7, 2014

Snow Day!

Yesterday, it began snowing just as the students were arriving at school.  The News folks kept saying that we would get a dusting or half an inch with little accumulation.  Well!  It snowed from 7:00/7:30 until some point between 2:00 & 3:00.  Everything was white.  Beautiful!  However, the snow began becoming compacted on parking lots and road ways, turning to ice, and making it quite slick.

I went less than a mile from work to the post office.  I used a few neighborhood streets to get through, and I slid at two intersections.  Once at the post office, I decided to walk down to a grocery store to get bread.  My walk was fine, even in the snow/ice.  I slid and slid trying to get out of that parking lot though.  Once out, I was good for a while.  I took high traffic side streets before making my way to the highway.  That part of the drive was fine.  At least 2 of the 3 lanes were fine.  Trying to get from the side road to the service road to get on the highway, I slid around.  Scary b/c there was more traffic around me.  Once I got on the highway, the roads were fine, but the traffic was horrible.  It took me 45 minutes to get home once I was on the highway.  My normal commute is around 20 minutes total.

The temperatures have held steady in the low 20s all night. My school district chose to cancel school today b/c of the parking lots.  Most are white with snow and ice. Someone said it took them 45 minutes to get out of their school parking lot yesterday afternoon. Looks like I will relax today!

We will get out around or after lunch time b/c we have to get our Hot Chocolate "stuff" for the 5K tomorrow.  They don't do pick-up the morning of, so we will brave the weather/roads to get it.  So excited about our run/walk tomorrow!

Here are a few snow pics I took yesterday.


 These are from inside my school building, looking out, around 9:30 am on February 6th.

 




These are from inside, looking out, around 2:00.



This one is from around 4:00, when I left.

This is from when I got inside my car to leave for the day around 4:00.

Around 5:30, when I was arriving home.







No comments:

Post a Comment