Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today, Granny left this earth for Heaven. 12:33 am.  That is when I got the phone call.  For the next 3 hours, I went from her house to talking to paramedics and EMTs to making phone calls to my brother and aunt to following the ambulance to the hospital to waiting to hear from the doctor.  My great aunt and I sat side-by-side as the dr gave us the official news, which I already knew in my heart.  We got to go in and say our final "good-byes."  I then gained the experience of working with the nurses on official paperwork, talking the Medical Examiner, and breaking the official news to those waiting at the hospital.  After finishing at the hospital, we went to the rehabilitation place where Mom was recovering from her broken ankle.  I know it had to be unbearably hard on her through the next few days b/c she could only leave the rehab place for a certain number of hours a day and she didn't get to say "good-bye" until the night of the visitation at the funeral home.

I gained quite a lot of life experience that day and the following days.

This last year has been filled lots of memories and a lot of work to clear out her home.  If I have learned one thing, it is this . . .
Look around.  If you aren't using it, donate, recycle, or trash it.  If you are getting up in age or are very ill, make decisions, let loved ones know, and make sure all of your business is in order.
It is hard on family members to deal with the normal stuff.  But when they are dealing with tons and tons of stuff, it is overwhelming.
Granny's business was in order, but she had so much stuff.  I'm glad she was into ceramics, sewing, crafts, quilting, crossword puzzles, gardening, and so much more.  There is just a lot of stuff to sort through.

I miss her, but I know she is happier now that she is in Heaven with Grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment