Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Weight Loss Journey--Part 4

November 2014

I continued to do well with my walking and working out until June 2015, when Mom passed away.  I pretty much lost all desire and motivation, so I all but stopped with the workouts.

In December 2015, my doctor diagnosed me with Hashimoto's and Celiac.  Now, I started Thyroid meds and had to cut out gluten.  I thought I was doing OK, but I wasn't.  I really started reading everything, even more than I had before.

In February 2016, I found some motivation and started watching my calorie intake again.  I had been using the Myfitnesspal app to help guide my eating and calorie intake.  During the second half of 2015, I quit using it.  When I realized by the end of January 2016 that I had gained about 10-13 lbs since June, I had to start using the app again and doing what I could to workout. I really like this app, and it keeps me on track.

I also read food labels and researched foods to eat when I did go out to help me watch my gluten consumption.  By cutting out gluten, I could tell I was feeling better.  A lot of the digestive and stomach problems had gone away, and I could tell that I felt better overall. Inflammation had gone down, joints quit hurting, and I just had a much better feeling that I really can't explain.

May 2016

Between July 2012 and now, I have lost 90 lbs. Of course, I have not kept all that off, but I do try to maintain within a certain range. That, I can handle and not stress about.

All of it is due to changing my eating habits, what I eat, eating more protein, fruits, and vegetables, and cutting out gluten, bread, crackers, pasta, and most sugars.  I now eat spinach salads, vegetables, and yogurt, which never happened before July 2012, and I make sure I have protein at lunch and dinner. I used to have a shake made of powders sold at my doctor's office for breakfast, but now, I have a variety of things to get my day started.  I have taken supplements to regulate my Iron, Vitamin D, and more. I eat gluten free baked goods every now and again, I don't snack from the candy basket at work, and I never eat from the foods shared at work (unless I read labels or know exactly what is in it, which is rare).

Some say I have unbelievable will power.  No, I just can't take the risk of poisoning my body and making myself sick. When I go out, I have to research the restaurant and choose carefully.  When I go to other people's homes, I take my own food.  I take my lunch every day to work.  I have to be in control of my food, every bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment