Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy 2019!

Wow!  Time sure has flown since I last posted.  If I don't create posts and backdate them, which I still might, my last post was in July 2017. There was one that year.  The last one before that was in mid to late 2016.

Well, I can tell you why I was a little busy in 2018 to write and publish.  I GOT MARRIED!

I will probably go back and create a post about that and the other major events leading up to my wedding.

One of my best friends, Jill Culmo, has started a new blog, Dr. Jill Reads.  I have always admired her for her reading.  As a child, she would read constantly. That wasn't me. I do enjoy reading, and I love sharing books, but she has such a passion, thirst for reading.

The first post of her new blog is what has led me here today.  For those who truly, truly know me, they know that I don't write or talk about things that make me too emotional.  Well, Jill's Headwinds and Tailwinds: Goodbye, 2018! post has me thinking and reflecting.

Please don't think I am trying to one-up her or anything or dismissing her grief. That is not what this is.  Her reflection, her feelings, her thoughts have led me to some reflecting and thinking too. I have prayed for Jill from the day her father was diagnosed with brain cancer.  With all I've been through, I knew a little something about how the whole experience would impact her. I pray for her now and the days, weeks, months, and years to come.  I pray for her sweet children who will not grow up with their grandfather.  I know a little something about that too.

My father passed away in March 2003.  It was unexpected in a sense.  He suffered a stroke, but he seemed to be doing great.  However, almost a week later, he had another one and passed away after a surgical procedure. My nephew was 19 months old, and my niece would be born 3 months later.  Honestly, I didn't truly mourn. That hurt and was more than I wished to really endure. I threw myself into work and life with my nephew and then niece when she was born.  I just kept taking one step after another and kept going.  No time for tears or hard reflection. I just kept going. And then, b/c I was so busy, time got away from me, and life happened, and I moved forward. I found it too hard to think of Dad, but there were times I would push through to tell my niece and nephew stories so they would know him--the best I could do and say for them to know him.

Years stick with you.  I tend to dread odd years. Yes, I realize I was born in one, and my amazing niece and nephew were both born in odd years, and those are highlights on my life's path, but I have had so much loss in odd years.  My maternal grandfather in March 1995, my paternal grandmother in 1999, my paternal grandfather in 2001, Dad in March 2003, my uncle (mother's brother) in March 2005, my maternal grandmother in February 2013, and Mom in June 2015. I dread the beginning of odd years.

I'm not sure about the terms headwinds and tailwinds. I know my husband could explain them to me and help me use them here, but Jill's post and reflection in thinking in those terms has me thinking about my life's path and the events that have shaped me and gotten me to where I am today.

Family is huge to me. I was truly blessed that my brother and sister-in-law not only lived near us when my niece and nephew were young, but they lived with us for periods of time too. I LOVED this! I was a part of my niece and nephew's daily lives. Even when they didn't live with us, we had family dinner nearly every night. Coming home and them running to meet me at the door with their arms open wide truly made my day each and every day. Our lives were intertwined, and I loved it. Dance practice, soccer practice, birthday parties, Boy and Girl Scouts, and so much more--I was there.

I assumed that this would continue. Our lives would be intertwined. I would be at every sporting, dancing, and school event through their high school graduation. I was wrong. And I felt I would die with the life changes that were thrown at me.

In June 2012, my brother and his little family moved to Converse, Texas. That is 5 hours away. I was devastated. I will be honest. I did not handle this well at all.

I would cry myself to work, and I would cry myself home each day. I didn't want anyone to see me cry. Except for my closest friends and co-workers, no one knew about my mourning--mourning for what was and what I thought would be. Mourning for my changing life.

My home and life went from one of constant busyness to one of tons of free time. I liken it to death, divorce, and empty nest syndrome all at once.  Anyone is difficult, but all three at once is extremely overwhelming and an experience I don't wish on anyone.

While I tried not to show my mourning, grieving, loss, and emotions, I know this impacted my personality and emotional state. A few intuitive folks at work and around me picked up on things, but I would not be honest with them about what was going on with me. I just kept pushing forward and trying to find ways to deal with my new life, my free time, and the pain I felt knowing that the relationship I had with my niece and nephew would be forever changed and never the same or what I thought it would be.

In the midst of dealing with this huge life change and the thoughts/emotions around it, my grandmother passed away. It was not expected at all. She passed away in her sleep. This was the lady who was always there for us. She was at every school event that my parents couldn't attend due to work. She was the one whom I hung out with on my days off during college. She taught me so much. Another important figure in my life that my niece and nephew would not get to know more as they grew older. Her loss hit me hard, but again, there was too much to do to sit and grieve, so I kept going.

It took Mom and me two years to go through everything in her house. We finally got it cleared out and fixed up to rent.

Just as this was happening, my mom passed away. Completely unexpected. My world was rocked.  One of the strongest women I know was gone. Another important person my niece and nephew will not have as they grow older.

How was I to move on?

Because I had assisted Mom with the business of death after my father passed away and then again when my grandmother passed away, I had some sort of idea of what to do when Mom passed away. I put it off a few weeks, but I knew I had to do it.  With my anxiety flaring, I made the necessary phone calls and handled all I needed to handle.

By Mom passing away in June, I had all summer to grieve and mourn. I don't know that I really did or could even tell you what I did to grieve, but it was great I had the summer and did not have to go immediately back to work with the other losses in my life.

My brother and his little family moved to Shawnee, Oklahoma. While that is a little closer, only 3.5-4 hours from me, it still didn't change the family dynamics.

The whole time I was "dealing," my body was failing me. I didn't understand and maybe it is a way my body was grieving. I don't know.  It took 18 months or more to finally diagnose me with Hashimoto's, Celiac, and Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome.  I knew my body was failing me, but I didn't know what to do or where to turn. When school started, I just took step after step, fell back into a routine, and kept going. My anxiety was becoming more of a problem, and after a situation at work in March 2016, I started my own research and sought help. With the Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome diagnosis and a change in my thyroid meds, things slowly started getting better.  It still took the rest of 2016 and into the beginning of 2017 for my body to recover and for me to think somewhat straight, but my everyday life started falling into place.

With all the changes and loss, family traditions started changing too. Do you know what it is like to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas in a hotel? Hard! Emotional! I don't wish it on anyone.

Where am I going with all this? God has placed me on this path for a reason. I have had the loss and changes to get me to where I am right now.

I have learned what it takes to get through the business of death--how to talk to companies, how to draw up Wills and Power of Attorneys, how to Probate a Will, what to expect with lawyers and courts/judges, how to find a property management company to take care of my property, how to work with a funeral home and plan a funeral, how to work with Hospice and hospitals, how to help a parent leave us and cross into Heaven, and so much more.

I also know that if God had not had my brother and his family move away from us, my life would still be intertwined with theirs and I would have no time or desire to date and move on with my life. As much as it hurts, had God not taken Granny and Mom, I would be caring for them now, and again, I would not be dating or looking to move on with my life.

I still worry about my relationship with my niece and nephew and wonder where their lives will lead. I am still quite lost when it comes to dealing with family and change.

However, a great man at church asked me out to lunch, volunteered to help me replace my shed doors, help me around my house, I said I'd help him launch his boat and go fishing, and well, the rest is history. God removed so much from my life, causing great pain and uncertainty, but He gave me an amazing man who puts me first and would do anything for me, who wants to make each day of my life better, and doesn't ever want me to be alone again.

God has amazing plans for each one of us. Throughout His plan, we find the faith to keep going and to believe, and in turn, we learn and change.

I now know about so much that I wouldn't have otherwise known. I am here to assist many when needed. I am still not the best friend or person to deal with loss or grief. I struggle like so many to say and do the right thing.  In some ways, I think it is b/c of how we deal with our own loss (or if we've dealt with it).

My life was amazing and moving along swimmingly, and then, it took a huge turn. Like I said, I still have concerns and wonders, especially when it comes to my niece and nephew, but I am now happier than I ever knew possible, and I have a man to live life with, that I never thought would happen.

2018 was busy and full of change. I am looking forward to a blessed 2019 of growing as a wife and figuring out this thing called married life. M nephew graduates from high school this year, so I am looking forward to seeing what God (and life) has in store for him.

As I come to the end of this post, I know there is so much more I could say and more connections I could make. Maybe another day.

Happy 2019, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment