Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Monday, January 14, 2019

Weight Loss Journey--Part 1

I may have discussed my four year weight loss journey on here before, but I have been asked several times in the last month how I've done it.  So? I'll try to start at the beginning.

I was never a skinny, thin girl. Since having exploratory surgery resulting in my appendix being removed in 7th grade, I've always had a bit of a belly below my belly button.  Yes, Mom always said I should tone those muscles after the surgery and receiving a 4+ inch scar, but I never did it.  I should have listened to Mom. I probably wore a size 12 back in high school.  It might have been smaller, but that is what I seem to remember.  I think I might have weighed 135 lbs.

This picture is from 1994.


I maintained my weight through college, the best I can remember.  I remember having dresses about the same size my junior and senior years of college. (Sometimes I wish I still had a few of those.  At least, how I remember them.)

However, my first year of teaching, 1997-1998, is when the pounds began to pack on.  I remember, toward the end of that first year, I wore one of Mom's pants outfits to work.  She was larger than me.  I also remember visiting my brother in college, and I wore one of Mom's shorts outfits.  Again, she was larger than me, the high school and college me.  The more I taught, the more I began to gain.

At some point around me third or fourth year of teaching, I joined Weight Watchers.  In five months, I lost 25 lbs.  However, I did not keep it off.  I continued to gain and packed on at least another 55-60 lbs by February 2010.

During this time, I began wearing XL, then 1X, and then 2X, and maybe even a 3X as well as 20W, 22W, and then 24W.  I managed to get dressed and off to work each day without paying attention to a mirror, and I rarely stepped on a scale.  Except for purchasing a new outfit here or there, I did not pay attention to my looks or weight.

During my teaching years, I had digestive issues, an upset stomach, and other digestive problems. I thought it might be a food allergy or milk intolerance, but I never figured out why I was sick daily.  I just kept working.  Soon, I began having some menstrual issues.

Finally, in February 2010, I decided it was time to start taking care of me.  If I don't, who will?
After seeing a great doctor and having blood work done, she called to say I had gallstones and Diabetes.  She and I were both shocked by the results. I thought these were the cause of the problems I continued to deal with daily.

With this news, something had to change.


This picture of me holding my BFF's baby is from September 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment