Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Just Be

Today's Sermon: Luke 10: 38-42

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

I liked today's message.  Pastor Cheryl put a shawl on her head and talked as if she were Martha.  Then she put the shawl around her shoulders and talked as if she were Mary.  Then she removed it all together and talked as if she was Jesus.  It was neat how she did it.

Martha was the doer, and Mary was portrayed as the slacker.  However, in this scripture, Mary "gets it," and Martha does not.  Sometimes we need to quit "doing" and just "be."  Mary was "present" with Jesus while Martha was busy with all the tasks, cooking, preparation, etc. She was too busy to be "present."

We shouldn't work or be busy 24/7/365.  We need to take time to "be" and be "present."




Since hearing this sermon, I have been working to "be."  I already work hard to make sure I am "present" wherever I am--with family, at work, with friends, etc. This sermon has helped me to work hard to clear my mind of all the conversations I play over and over and just "be" with a clear, uncluttered mind, working to find "me" and see what might be in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment