Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Teachers, Subs, and Questioning My Job

I don't have research on this, but in my experience, other than days when teachers are out for Professional Development, teachers miss more days due to illness, their own or a family member's, and take more "mental health" days when they are not happy in their job.  Right now, these are colliding at my school.

With a new Principal, new Assistant Principal, and second year of the other Assistant Principal, we have seen a lot of change this year.  All change for the better.  Systems are either being fixed or being put back in place.  Accountability is happening.  We have had changes in some positions already this year--as soon another secretary is hired, everyone in the front office will be new (except our phenomenal Principal's Secretary).  Teachers are being asked to step-up and do their jobs or do them better than they have been.  With all the changes, accountability, and systems, teachers are stressed, crunched for time, and finding it much easier to be negative than positive or to do what's best for our students.  It is not easy working at my school and teaching our students, but our students need to get a great education and realize there is a way out of the situations they are in right now.  It can be done.  We need teachers modeling for, teaching, and loving them.  There is so much negativity and griping that we have this core "cancer" pulling everyone down.  People are unhappy.  They want out, but they either can't find another job or are waiting until the end of the year.  The more stress teachers feel, the more they don't want to be at work, they more they call in.

This time of year hits everyone hard with Strep, the Flu, Bronchitis, colds, and so much more.  Teachers are out b/c they are sick or their children or a loved one are sick.

No matter the reason for being out, we are short subs. Every day last week, we were short 1-2.5 subs.  Decisions have to be made about how to cover those classes.

It isn't just that teachers are out.  We completely understand illness and that things happen, but the teachers have to leave their rooms ready for the next day.  Work, directions, and sub information (schedules, seating charts, rosters, etc.) must be left on desk tops before leaving every day.  It would also be nice if the desk was left in such a way that it is easy to find paper and pen when needed.   Whether or not we have subs or not, classes are being left unprepared and messy, making it quite difficult for anyone trying to work in that room or assist the teachers/subs to be able to do a good job.

The misconception in the building is that it is my job, along with my co-worker with the same position, to cover classes when teachers are out and there aren't enough subs.  That is not my job. I can help, but it is not MY job.
1.  I have been told by several people that b/c of the funds that pay me, I cannot cover classes b/c that involves different funds, and if anyone found out about this, we could all get in trouble.  (That wasn't the best explanation, but I know what they meant.)
2.  I have a job.  My job is multi-layered, involves a long list of things daily, and a lot of what most teachers probably don't realize.  If I'm constantly pulled to cover for missing subs and teachers, I would not get MY job done, and then other things would not get done across the building/curriculum.
3. If students are split into other content classes, they are going to get a better lesson.  Those teachers know the content, where they are in the curriculum, and can assist the students the best.
4. I assist people all over the building, cover for ARDs, attend meetings, and more, and it isn't always feasible for me to be in a classroom.

Twice in the last two weeks, that I know of (it was probably far more than that), comments were made about me and my job.
1. When I created a meeting agenda for Department Chairs to follow on our Professional Development day, one teacher felt I was "justifying" my job by doing that and giving it to them.  Really?  I don't have to justify my job to anyone.  Period.
2. After spending a week splitting classes every day, a teacher questioned if I ever cover classes.  Yes, I do, but not every day or even every week.  It completely depends on the class period, the day, and what is on my daily agenda.  I have huge things coming up, and I can't be in a classroom all the time.

Bottom line is that we need teachers to be at school unless it just cannot be helped.  We aren't a business where you can put work off until tomorrow.  Our jobs involve humans who must be supervised when in the building on the 177 days they are required to be at school. If teachers have to be out, they must have something for their students to do, and if they are prepared before they leave every day, it would be easier on everyone.  Also, if teachers do not want to be there, they need to resign and move on.  Let us get someone in there we can count on day in and day out so we can educate our students.

No comments:

Post a Comment