Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Whatever It Takes

I am used to working in a "Do Whatever It Takes" environment.  You put students first, and you do whatever it takes to meet students' needs and help them be successful. 

I'm sure, after I say this, if there are any people from work that read this, they will have one more reason to be mad at me or rant about me at Happy Hour, but here it is.

Teachers I work around have not had to act as every other teacher in the nation normally does.  They have not been held accountable and have not had to research, make, and create whatever is needed to teach their students. There is so much complaining about working long hours, not being able to balance work and home, and not having enough time.  All the things these teachers, some who have been teaching 8-10-12 years, are now experiencing should have been experienced their first few years of teaching.  The stress of teaching, figuring out the bureaucracy and paperwork, getting everything done, attending meetings, planning lessons, and balancing work and home lives is what first through third year teachers struggle to figure our and learn.  These teachers should have that by now.  Yes, the beginning of the year brings about some of those struggles, but the amount of stress and complaining around these issues is out of control. Many are not stopping to realize that they are fighting a change that will happen with or without them. 

My second year of teaching, I switched schools and grade levels.  I was given brand new state standards, a simple scope and sequence, and an extremely old textbook, which we didn't have enough student copies for every student.  Everything I did that year, I figured out on my own.  I bought my own resources, created my own lessons, did everything on my own.  Eventually, the district coordinator started having professional development sessions to help us with content and lessons.  Even with that information, I still had to do my own thing.  This is what has made me the teacher I am.  I love to research and create.

I have been amazed at the lack of professional development these teachers seek out.  I am a life-long learner.  I sought out any and all related professional development.  Most of these teachers do not. 

Teaching is not an 8-4 job.  For those who really "do whatever it takes" and do "what's best for kids," they are working 24-7 from August until June.  Thinking, creating, worrying, and so much more. 

I love watching the changes that are taking place.  It is hard, stressful, and not the happiest environment, but things are a changing, and our students will benefit.



No comments:

Post a Comment