Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Italian Casserole

I am not sure what this is called or where I found it, but I made a very yummy Italian dish tonight for dinner. 

Warning:  It makes a ton of food.  We will be eating on it for days.  If there are only 2 of you eating, you might half the recipe.  You'll still have plenty for leftovers.

The recipe serves 10. (Oops!  Guess that's why we have so much food.)
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ready to Eat in 55 minutes.


Ingredients
  • 1 pound dry ziti pasta (I used wheat pasta.)
  • 1 onion, chopped (I just used Onion Powder b/c I can't stand the smell of onions in the house. I just sprinkled it in to taste.)
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce (I used sugar free or no sugar added Ragu.)
  • 6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups sour cream (I actually used slightly less than this.)
  • 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.
 
2. In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes.
 
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish. (Wait!  I had to use a cake pan b/c there was so much.) Layer as follows: 1/2 of the ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
 
4. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted. (I didn't leave it in that long.  I took it out when the noodles began to darken.)

5. Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment