Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

An Aging Population

I have been noticing lately that those I seem to be surrounding myself with tend to be Senior Citizens.  I'm not sure what this means or where I'm headed, but it has just become more obvious lately.

My mother has another year before reaching 70, and by caring for her and checking on her at rehab, we are surrounded with Senior Citizens staying in the nursing home.

I had been helping to care for my grandmother, and she passed away at 89.5.

Today, I attended my Great Uncle's 80th Birthday party.  80 years!  It was more like a family reunion with people of all ages, but those I was with while my mom visited were the older of the bunch.

Recently, I experienced a new restaurant with friends.  We laughed that we were the youngest ones in the room.

I have always felt more comfortable with people older than me.  I don't know if that is because I was raised by older parents or because I was blessed to spend most weekends with my Great Grandmother or because I was blessed to spend much of my time with my grandparents. Finding that I am around Senior Citizens more these last few days/weeks . . . I'm not sure if it is a sign of something to come, a career change, or just the fact that that is what happens when caring for aging loved ones.  We shall see.  It has made me start thinking about our population as a whole and that it is made up of more and more older citizens and what that means for our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment