Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Loss and Banks

When opening a bank account or choosing a bank to use, people don't think about loss or what happens when somone on the account dies.

When Granny passed away, we had to go talk to five different banks.  They ranged from extremely friendly, compassionate, and helpful to extremely difficult and exhausting.  Actually, three were very helpful, one was fine/pretty helpful, and one was difficult and exhausting.  Mind you, Mom or I were on all the accounts/documents.  One or both of us could work with any and all banks.  However, one bank made things difficult.  Even though we were on the accounts and had the death certificate, we had to fill out a lot of paperwork, visit the bank various times, and it took a lot of time to get everything updated. It seems like there is a lot of red tape and rules that apply.

Now, with Mom gone, I have only shared the death certificate with two banks.  One, the same difficult one as before, b/c I need to deal with the mortgage.  Again, they did not want to talk to me, even with a death certificate.  Yes, I can access the checking account, but everything else has been difficult.  They have mailed me at least three separate sets of paperwork to complete and send back.  They already have the death certificate, but they want a lot more information that I am just not ready to handle. Oh, and they won't do anything else until I have Letters of Testimony, Executor, or Administration. None of which can I get without Probating the Will, which takes money I can't touch at said bank.  Crazy!  I'm glad the other bank accepted my word the first time and the death certificate the second time.  I was able to get what I needed.

Now, do not take any of this to think I have tons of money.  No, it is taking every cent I have. Granny assisted us when she was alive, and she is helping us again now. Loss takes a lot of money,  and if you can't access it, you are in trouble.  Take care of paperwork now so that you can handle business later.

No comments:

Post a Comment