Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

December Girl Scout Meeting--Service Project

One of my seventh graders planned our December meeting. Today, five of our girls worked from 1:00-8:00 making blankets and ponchos. We threw in baking cookies and brownies, and I prepared dinner. They had a blast! They made nine blankets and ten ponchos to donate.

The thing that really struck me was how mature and self-sufficient they are becoming. I helped them get organized and started, and they took off from there. I found myself sitting on the couch watching the news, preparing dinner, sending an email to their parents, snapping a few pics of them working, doing dishes, and more while they worked, talked, and enjoyed their work and company.

During dinner, we had a mature, intelligent conversation that included the topics of politics, immigration, and citizenship. While they finished their final pieces, I listened as they talked about college, careers, and middle school and high school electives. 

I am so honored and blessed to be a part of their lives.










No comments:

Post a Comment