Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Birthdays--A Time to Reflect

Today is my birthday.  I won't share how old I am.  I never told my students my real age, and I don't think anyone at work knows how old I am either.  I almost have a hard time with the reality of my age, the actual number.  I just can't believe I am the age I am.

I always thought I would be in a different place or living my life slightly differently by this age.

By the time I was entering and finishing high school, I knew I was going into education.  I planned to become an elementary school teacher and continue doing that until I retired. I knew I would get my Bachelor's and Master's degrees. Well, I did earn my Bachelor's and went on to teach elementary school for 11 years, and by the end of that time, I had a Master's and Doctorate, a degree I never dreamed of getting. I have now spent five years in Curriculum and Instruction at different levels, something I never dreamed of doing, but I really enjoy. Along the way, I have met some amazing people and learned quite a lot. It will be interesting to see what I will do next. What other opportunities are there?

I have traveled through Europe three times.  Three experiences I never imagined I would have. I can't wait to do it again when my niece and nephew are old enough to enjoy and appreciate the experience.

When I didn't find "Mr. Right" in high school, I just knew I would find him in college.  I dreamed of marrying after college and starting my family within the following 5-8 years.  Well, that never happened.  As you know by my posts, I am still very much single and childless, something I never imagined I would be at this age.

As I turn another year older, I reflect on the person I have become.  Am I who God created me to be?  Am I leading the life God planned for me?  Have I veered off His path to follow my own? Am I doing what He wanted me to do?  Am I in the right job/location?  Have I missed my chance at finding "Mr. Right"?  Will I ever have children?  What is God's plan for me in the coming year?

I am grateful to have another birthday, to have the family I do, to have had the opportunities I have had, and for the friends that listen to me and lift me up when needed. Even though this last year has been very difficult, I am still a very blessed person.

I am looking forward to seeing what God has in store for this next year.  I pray it if filled with more joy than pain, amazing experiences, and lots of time spent with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment