Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Monday, December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas!

This Christmas has had me thinking, remembering, and feeling grateful.
I have been blessed to wake up in the same house every Christmas morning since birth. For some, that may seem weird. To me, it is wonderful.

Most of my life, we spent Christmas Eve with my mom's side of the family at Granny and Grandpa's house.  We enjoyed sandwiches, chips/dips, and pie before opening presents.  I remember when my brother, cousins, and I were the little ones who just couldn't wait to open presents.  I have been blessed to enjoy the same traditions with my niece, nephew, and little cousins.  They were just like us, lying under the tree wishing and hoping it was time. My great aunt and uncle would come over to be with us too.  I don't know when this tradition started, but it seems that we always did it.  It continued until about 5-10 years ago when had to do it the weekend before with my cousins b/c they wouldn't be here. Now, if we get together on Christmas Eve, which we always do with Granny at least, you never really know who will be there or for how long, but we still try to keep this tradition going as long as Granny is with us.

From birth until upper elementary school or middle school, we would open presents at home on Christmas morning before walking next door to have breakfast and open gifts with my neighbors and another family we were very close to for much of my life. We continued this tradition for one year after my neighbors moved to a neighboring town, and then we stopped.

We would come back home to choose a new outfit to wear and then head to Granny and Grandpa's for Christmas lunch. At some point, probably after my grandfather passed away, we moved lunch to my house.  We would have as many as 16 or more enjoying lunch and conversation.

After my brother got married and had children, we continued our traditions, but we would start Christmas morning at their house for the kids to open presents.  They would come back to our house to open presents with us and then stay the rest of the day for lunch and dinner.

As we were entering this holiday season, I had no idea what we would do for Christmas.  My brother and sister-in-law moved 5 hours away.  My mom has all but moved in with Granny to take care of her.  This was going to be my first Christmas waking up on Christmas morning alone. My first Christmas morning without my niece and nephew. Mom decided she was going to be with the kids no matter what, so she was going to drive the 5 hours to be with them on Christmas Day.  She said Granny and I could go with her or stay home.  Well, I was a little worried about Granny riding 5 hours down and then 5 hours back all in one day, so I was willing to stay home, but it was what Mom wanted.  I had gotten my mind set for this and ready for a different kind of Christmas.  It really didn't matter where we were as long as we were together.  Right? Well, God had different plans.

After telling my brother and sister-in-law about my great uncle's passing, they decided to come home to visit and go to the funeral.  After the services, they headed to Oklahoma to be with her family while they celebrated over the weekend. They are supposed to come home for Christmas Eve and wake up to celebrate with us on Christmas morning.  We don't have to make Granny travel 10 hours in one day. My niece, nephew, and I get to wake up in the home we know. God is wonderful!  I know there will come a day that I may live somewhere else, and a day that I may not even get to see my niece and nephew on Christmas Day, but this Christmas is not that time, and I am oh, so very blessed and grateful!

I was so excited when they drove in the driveway on Friday night!


Another tradition we have in our family is the Advent Calendar, which Granny made when I was tiny, each piece handmade and sequined, involves hanging the ornaments on the tree. I am so glad the kids were here to get it caught up to date.  The first 7 were hung by a set of Girl Scout sisters at our December meeting. I just left it alone the rest of the month.



I can't wait for them to get home tonight for Christmas Eve! I am so blessed.

Mom, Granny, and I got together for sandwiches, chips, and dips for lunch with my aunt and cousin yesterday.  I truly enjoyed that time.

My life has changed dramatically in the last 10 months, but God knows what I need, so He provides as only He can.  Thank you, Lord, for sending Jesus to be born in a manage all those years ago, and thank you for all you do for my family and me!
 

Merry Christmas, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment