Welcome! Please share your ideas with us.

Saturday, December 22, 2012

I Will Forever Be George

Today, we laid my Great Uncle to rest (Granny's younger brother).  As I was watching the picture slideshow, I remembered times spent in his and my Great Aunt's home as well as other random moments. He gave my brother a statue of an eagle in honor of earning his Boy Scout Eagle Award back in the 1990s, and he attended the Eagle Ceremony. He performed my brother and sister-in-law's wedding ceremony in 2000.  He was a lovable teddy bear with a great sense of humor, and he was quite a prankster.

One memory that came flooding back was that he called me George.  I used to think that was a funny name for a girl, but I would laugh each time he said it.  I don't know why he called me George or why it started, but I will forever be George, and when I hear that name, I will think fondly of him.

I also remembered family Christmas gatherings.  During most of my younger years, Granny's side of the family would all get together for Christmas.  Granny, who had two children, had one brother, who had four children, and one sister, who had three children. The last time we all got together was at Granny's house in the mid-1980s.  One of my Great Uncle's granddaughter's was only a few months old and in a baby carrier at the time. I don't think any of the grandchildren were of marrying age.  Also, my Great Uncle would put the bows from the presents on his bald head every year.  There are many Christmas pictures with bows on his head.

While it was for a sad occasion, we were all back together today during the Christmas season.  Those toddling around or still infants in the 80s are now grown with spouses and children of their own.  Those grandchildren and great grandchildren who weren't born yet were also in attendance.  His two youngest great grandchildren, twin girls, were there and only 4-8 weeks. He had four children with spouses, nine grandchildren, some with spouses, and five great grandchildren at the time of his passing.  While it was a sad occasion, it was a happy one because we got to see so many we haven't seen in years and meet others we have never met.

So . . . I pray for my Great Aunts, Granny, and cousins who are mourning his passing, I will remember him fondly, and . . . I will forever be George.

No comments:

Post a Comment